Monday, November 16, 2009

Next step

In an earlier post (March 10, 2009), I'd expressed doubts about joining the synagogue. Then a couple weeks ago I realized that I felt at home there. I've attended functions for over 2 years (even the latke frying brigade), and actually look forward to the services. Figured it's time to pay for my share of the light bill. So now it's official, announced in both the newsletter and at Friday night services. I'm the newest member of B'nai Israel Synagogue.

Not only that, but actual conversion may be more likely. There are enough people interested in it that the student rabbi will be leading a class directed toward conversion (as opposed to the previous 'intro' classes) and will arrange for a 'real' rabbi to make the several-hundred mile trip to take care of the formalities.

Now I know that the Reform movement doesn't require immersion, although it has become more popular in the past couple decades, but I feel I'd be missing something if I didn't take a dip. There are a couple mikvahs 300 miles away in Minneapolis, and Chabad has one in Winnipeg, but I don't know how open they'd be to Reform conversions. Of course, it the weather cooperates, we maybe could find an acceptable (and modestly secluded) body of natural water. Oh well. I guess we can jump off that bridge when we come to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment