Friday, February 26, 2010

Busy week.

Sunday when I came home for lunch the Jehovah's Witnesses were lying in wait for me.  One of them is a floor re-finisher by trade, and I mentioned the distressed hardwood in the living room.  He asked if I was generally home Friday afternoons, and I innocently thought it was for him to take a look at the floor.  As soon as I confirmed my schedule, I realized his proselytizing motive.  Now I suppose I'll need something to get me out of the house.

Did a trial run of yeast-raised hamantaschen for the office pot-luck Tuesday.  They were mighty tasty, and were well received by the entirely non-Jewish staff, but they didn't look anything like Hamantaschen is supposed to. Going to give it another try today , but will only roll out once instead of doing the foldy thing.  Last time the gluten got so strong that I couldn't keep the dough flat.  I'd cut out a 3.5" disc and it would retract into a golf ball.  (HE HE  My spell-check doesn't recognize "hamantaschen."  It suggests "Phantasmagoria" and "Schenectady.")

Still haven't decided what to wear for Purim.  My first Purim party was 2 years ago.  I wore my maroon Anglo-Saxon tunic, hoping it wold be biblical enough.  Got there and the first person I met was the student rabbi dressed as Minnie Mouse.  Maybe this year I'll go with the Japanese. Haven't had that out of the closet for a while.

Tomorrow I get up early enough to bake the hamantaschen (dough has to chill overnight).  Then lunch with the student rabbi to discuss making my conversion official.  Then after lunch the Judaism class, followed by Torah study followed by the Purim party. 

How am I going to break it to the Jehovah's Witnesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment